Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Get that 'vintage tone' with this super duper battery!

Thread: Get that 'vintage tone' with this super duper battery!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Get that 'vintage tone' with this super duper battery!

http://www.ehx.com/products/9v-battery

Seriously? I think this is taking things too far.

Post Thanks / Like

Fool. Money. Parted.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, after seeing this picture, I think they might be on to something!

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly only use zinc carbon batteries in my Fuzzface. Not the expensive ones, though. I get them at the dollar store.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

What is the theoretical reason why zinc carbon batteries should yield a different tone than alkaline (or NiMH, NiCad) batteries?

Post Thanks / Like

It is true. Those older style batteries do produce better tone, especially if they are half dead, or dieing.
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Strat Delux
    Fender American Tele
    Alverez Yairi Ani DeFranco
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

Post Thanks / Like

Great. I'll be establishing my new venture, selling 1/2 depleted, dollar store zinc carbon batteries with a cool vintagey label on them. Taking preorders now, 20% off for my Fretter friends!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would never even briefly consider using batteries in pedals, it's just too much trouble...so it's PSU only for me...BUT if you do want to get a tad more 'airy' sound as with weaker/vintage style batteries, just use an adjustable PSU and give the pedal something like 7V instead of nine.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only really heard people discuss it in the context of the Fuzz Face design, but yeah, different battery types can have a variation in impedance, so in some kinds of circuits the battery type can have a small effect on tone. Different battery chemistry also effects the way a battery behaves when it discharges. Some fade away slowly, some drop off very sharply (Like NiCd's).

At the end of the day though I run all my pedals from a power supply. So much less drama.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I recall Steve Vai and some other guitar hero as well used a weak battery with a Tube Screamer pedal back in the 90's. And yeah, the old type fades slow, giving that weak current longer. But again, AFAIK the only thing that can have an effect on the sound is the actual voltage and amperage, so it's the same to use a really weak PSU for the effect.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't you buy one of those generic one-size-fits-all wall warts and change the voltage to whatever you wanted, if it was that important? I've always wondered why people don't just do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

You know, there's often a difference between theory & practice.

It's a hoot to read the friendly arguments regarding tone - 'Everything changes tone' vs. 'Nothing changes tone', that sort of thing. In theory, everything follows certain laws, whether Ohms law or Murphy's. But practice dictates what really is, period. Duane Allman only used half-dead batteries in his Wah pedals. He sounded pretty good to these ears.

Try this device (----->click this). Under 20 bucks, you'll quickly find out what a half-dead battery can do for your pedal's tone. Especially effective on dirt pedals. Hey, for less than a Jackson what do you have to lose?
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ayuh, that should do the trick. I don't doubt there is a difference, quite contrary, I'm sure there is. Just that the way to achieve it best would IMO be indeed such a wallwart, not tightroping by using dying batteries :-)
    Dee