Since I've used pretty much only actives for over half a decade now, I'm now having some trouble using passives.

If you've seen my earlier post, I think these Dirty Fingers are pretty much on par w/EMG85 on levels and overall sound, but...there's a few things apparent now after a training session. Mostly one: the reproduction of strings is not level.

I use a rather unorthodox string set,9,11,17,32,40,49...so you notice the gap between the D and G strings is no less than .15 which is a way bigger step than usually (2-6-15-8-9). Now with actives the distance to string and such apparently are WAY less important - they reproduce the string sounds very evenly, but with these passives there is aclear difference in the level of D and G now.

Furthermore, the low E string is too bassy now, it's not as tight and actually causes this annoying extra 'grumble' somewhere in the lowest sounds sometimes when playing low, damped but powerful chords like low E.

So to the question...do you address such issues ever by adjusting the polepiece heights?

I just did a 'blind' adjust whereby I lowered the bass side of the PU a little, lowered the low E polepiece just alittle, and lifted up the G string pole 2 turns, B string pole 1 turn. Haven't tested it properly yet, but I'm guessing it'll help with the issue at least some.

Any experience in doing something similar?