Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I was thinking too. I'll sort a new set of toobs and see how I go from there. To answer a few questions...

Are they real 6L6's? I'd always assumed so yeah. At least they are stamped "Sovtek 6L6WXT" and "Made in Russia" Here's a pic..

Clash of the Cold War Rivals I by Ch0jiN, on Flickr

I have the schematic, I repaired some dry jointed filter caps not long ago to fix an intermittent hum problem. I removed and physically inspected the main filter caps and they "looked" fine. I have to recap and older (1970's) Peavey Bass head soon too so maybe I'll tackle both of them.

Nothing sounds particularly "weird" at apartment volume I hadn't noticed anything, it's just when I get it up to 10

Regarding speakers, I totally agree with you Deeaa, however I have tried it with my 4x12 as well and it still sounded wimpy (although I did have the impedance mismatched as I mentioned before)

That said, I have no data on the speakers in my 4x12 other than they were made in the 60's (cause that's when the cab was made) and that they were made locally. They might be horribly inefficient....or not I guess I'll have to A/B the cab with something else at some point.

Here's a pic if your curious..

Fluxing Hi by Ch0jiN, on Flickr

Oh and Tig.... Didn't mean to offend you with my Solid State reference. If it makes you feel better, it wasn't my amp Both my guitar amps have Toobs.