So I was jamming with a couple of mates the other night, and for the second time (with the same guys) I've been totally drowned out by the other guitarist and drummer. First time I thought I had impedance mismatched my amp and cab (had the amp still on 8 and 16 Ohm cab) but this time I just dragged along the amp with it's built in 12" speaker and same deal.

I'm using a '92 -ish Peavey Ultra 112 (USA Made) which is rated at 60W via a pair of Sovtek 6L6's that have been in there since like '94. The other guitarist was running a racked JMP-1 and 8008 power amp into a Sovtek quad loaded with eminence 12" speakers.

Even with my amp in the corner of the room for maximum amplification, his rig on like "4" swallowed mine whole. I didn't think an 80W solid state power amp would do that, so now I'm wondering if "that sounds about right" or if I should try out some new power tubes.

I have a JTM 45 build "kind of" under way (just yesterday received all my trannies from Marstran) but if 60W cant hack it, the JTM probably wont either.

I've been looking hard at the Ceriatone Yeti in 100W guise as possibly a new jamming amp.

I'd hope I could hold my own over the noise these cats make with a hotrodded 100W plexi (and maybe a 69 basket weave slant cab with 75W Greenbacks. I'm not sure I'd like to throw a 100W plexi into my 1960's era alnico's given I have no idea what their power rating is)

Anyway, thoughts?

I was just a little taken aback, I mean everyone seems to be talking about little amps these days and I'm at jams lying on the ground with my head in front of a speaker trying to hear myself with a dimed 60W amp........