So lately, I've been thinking about my guitar stuff, feeling a little self-conscious about the amount of gear I have. I have amassed a significant number of pedals (13 at last count) and guitars (7 if you count bass and acoustic), and at best, I use one of them at any time.

I might count myself lucky to have such a wealth of nice guitars, but honestly, I feel a little self-indulgent. So I guess it brings up the question: what the right amount of gear to own? Is there a point at which there's no justification for owning more stuff? Does the role of music in your life dictate how much stuff you can reasonably own, or is it all about your internal level of austerity?

I'm one step above couch surfing these days, so I can't set up all of my stuff anyway, but 3 amps, 5 electrics, an acoustic, a bass, and a load of pedals seems like an awful lot of stuff for someone who doesn't gig. I'm considering going down to maybe 3 electrics, an acoustic, a delay, OD, distortion, reverb, tuner, looper and selling off an amph while I'm at it.

So am I crazy? Should I just be happy in my riches? Does anyone ever relate to the stuff that I'm saying? I suppose not, given the demographic here. Maybe you can chalk this up to random musings.