Been gone a while on account of a kid being born, illness and general working, so hello again everyone!

I recently gave my brother in law a mini electric guitar I had around. He had an acoustic that should have taken nylon strings that his parents put metal strings on and the neck snapped. I felt pretty bad about the situation because he really loved to play it so I have him my little travel beater(which was in perfect condition, I'm not a dick). He really knows nothing about music at all but has a good sense of rhythm and enjoys making sounds he likes with the instrument. I'd like to find lessons for him (in the Buffalo, NY area) but he has Downs and I'm not sure how common it is for tutors to deal with something like that. He's fairly high functioning, his mentality seems somewhere around a 12-3 y/o and he's a 19y/o with a good personality. I'm sure there are groups that specialize in that sort of thing but I figured I'd check in here to see if anyone had experience with finding a teacher in a situation like this.