Hello,

I picked up another project, man this has got to stop I have an Epiphone LP Studio that has a broken headstock . I kind of bought it for the decent alder contoured top. The rest of the body looks like agathis or something with a thin veneer of mahogany on the back.
I am thinking of LP custom type binding on the top and build a neck through neck (laminated with five pieces, light and dark wood) with bound fretboard and head stock. The only issue is that I want to disguard everything but the top layer of alder about 3/8 of the thckness or a little less and then mate it to full mahogany for the rest of the body. Do you guys have any ideas as to how to cut this large piece off the top? I guess I could take it to a mill and have them do it but I like to do as much of this stuff as I can myself but my saw will not cut that large a piece.
One thing I thought of is to bring the neck through up to the top through the middle of the alder so it shows on top. This would mean that I would cut the top in three pieces and laminate it with the neck through. I kind of like this idea as it will look different than a regular LP and I would then be able to cut the alder off the side (wing) pieces which would be small enough now on my own table saw. On the other hand This might make the top look too cluttered and lose that nice LP look.
Another thought is to chamber the body with the neck through but I have heard differing opinions on chambering wheather it makes that much difference. I am really not concerned about the sound or trying to get a certain sound, I kind of like to see just what sound it does end up having.

I am curious as to what you guys would do to this project and also any tips on sawing that alder off the top.

Thank you for your time and help.

M29