Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
Me, I never really got the Jubilee craze. It's much like a JCM800 2210, it also has diodes for distortion but they're a bit differently in the signal chain and the amp tonestack is geared towards cleaner tones I understand. They don't reportedly have a choke either because there apparently was no room in the combo chassis but later done for many Marshalls to save on costs, and it's making them a little less 'organic' and tighter, cleaner sounding than 800 series. The triode switch is cool, but from what I remember it more like just eats away at tone than really lower the volume. Not that it's bad to have diodes for drive, no need for pedals then maybe :-) but for amph purists that's a big no-no.

Of course, when it sounds good, it _is_ good, but that's not the classic Marshall sound to me. I think the classic Marshall sounds are that of the Bluesbreaker, the kinda nearly Voxy headroom-less crunchy cleanish roar, and the EL84 breaker with the super-organic dark mutter, and definitely 2203&4 50W AC/DC crunch that is behind almost 100% rock sounds prior to the 90's.

I agree on the classic Marshall tone with the Bluesbreaker, I currently own the 1974x which is a superb amp, no EQ just Volumme and a tone knob. This may be a one trick pony but i get all the tone by adjusting my guitar knobs. One thing it is missing is the reverb tank, but i can live with that (just add a reverb pedal). As for pedals all you really need is a booster to overdrive the amp.