Thread: What is a god afordable mic that can do it all.

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default What is a god afordable mic that can do it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I sorta thought God could afford any mic he wanted.
    The only reason I'm reading this thread is because I was curious and hoping to see pictures of a God mic.

But now that I'm here, another vote for the Shure 57, which I've borrowed from a friend a few times. Thrilled to see there's a $29 knock-off. I don't mic much, so $100 is to rich for my blood.
    Nothing is anything until it is written. After that, it's everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davewrites View Post
    The only reason I'm reading this thread is because I was curious and hoping to see pictures of a God mic.

But now that I'm here, another vote for the Shure 57, which I've borrowed from a friend a few times. Thrilled to see there's a $29 knock-off. I don't mic much, so $100 is to rich for my blood.
    29 dollars for a mic? Wow, why don't you just use a dixie cup with a string attached to it.
    What do you think you'll get for 29 bucks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    29 dollars for a mic? Wow, why don't you just use a dixie cup with a string attached to it.
    According to over 100 customer reviews on Amazon, you get a pretty decent mic.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    You know, I find that a lot of online reviews are for-the-money reviews, which makes them somewhat less than useful. I mean, you can clearly see how much something costs, right? So it seems like having an absolute scale would be a little more practical. Then again, I realize we all have the limitation of being human and wanting to love the thing we just blew some cash on, so it's probably not going to change. But I never miss an opportunity to whine about something!

First world problems!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    Not only do you think you'll get a good mic for 29 bucks, but you actually trust the reviews at Amazon?

Now i've seen everything. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Not only do you think you'll get a good mic for 29 bucks, but you actually trust the reviews at Amazon?

Now i've seen everything. LOL
    Ignorance is bliss.

I run sound in a bar in Chicago. Sunday past. I had 5 bands. One was a 12 pc including a 4 pc horn section, 2 percussionists plus drummer, bassist 3 amped electrics. I had 5 vocal mics and mic'd 2 of the guitar cabs.

While this band is an extreme, I do everything from violists to stand up to singer/songwriters to bands, several times a week. (I've got two bands tonight)

I use SM-86's SM-58's SM-57's GLS ES-58's. the latter is in fact a Shure SM-58 clone. When purchased from http://www.speakerrepair.com/ they come in at $28.33 ea.

For 3 years now they function in every way shape and form exactly as the SM-58's.

I purchased them because a sound engineer friend, who pays his (considerable) mortgage running a studio, mixing master tapes for Widespread Panic and running sounds at festivals and venues, directed me to them when I said "Dude, I need mic's and I'm broke". He said they functioned fantastically and if they "walk away" or fail, you're out $29.

You're newer here ToddK, but others here know enough of me to know I'm a dude, with no product to promote or axe to grind. So consider this a review you can trust. Or not.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Not everything should be judged by it's pricetag.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.