Yeah labeling music sucks. One thing that has sometimes annoyed me is why do music reviewers sometimes complain that a band is crisscrossing between genres and the next day complaining that all the songs are too much alike.

I myself like bands that have lots of variation in their songs, like Faith No More.

But I soon realized that music labels, like opinions, are like a-holes, everyone has one, and especially reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt.
Still, it can sometimes be very annoying that you've maybe done some side studio project singing some EP for some band, really with a 'left hand' and just quite mechanically almost sang the songs you haven't practiced, and then for that release get reviews saying the singer really conveys feeling and grooves with the band - and then you release another one you've really worked hard on vocals and basically sang some songs in tears putting all the feeling you have behind it, and that time the reviewer complains that the vocals are done a bit coldly and without feeling, LOL :-)

If I review a band, I'll never make guesses like 'feels like the guitarist hasn't practiced enough' or 'they play with no feeling', how the hell do they think they know what the band did to make the release. Sometimes the feeling may just not convey to a particular listener at a particular time etc.