Thread: Question about vinyl collecting

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Creamcheese. Feel free to introduce yourself.
    Your question isn't about guitars, but we will bring you into the fold...!

Why don't you start with old components for yard sales, goodwill, your local recycling spot perhaps. Ask neighbors and family! There are hundreds of system good and bad sitting in attics, closets...Do not pay (much) for some of this stuff, capacitors and such do age, even though what I found has been fine so far. Some early 80s Japanese hifi components were very well built - I just cleaned a Sony reciever and the innards were superb. Some purists (not me!) seek the warm tones these components produce.
    Old truntables are a bit tough to get a hold of, apparently. I think a lot did not age well and got tossed. Delicate equipment, so treat old ones with care. There are good, inexpensive all-purpose cartridges on the market, 35-40 dollars gets you started.
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Get a Bang & Olufsen Beogram, one of the linear tracking models. You should be able to find decent older ones on eBay. It's the only turntable you'll ever need.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa