Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
For me, it was mostly Jackson's absolute character assassination of Faramir that sent me over the edge (like the edge he sent Aragorn over in that wolf-attack scene that never happened in any of the books). If Jackson's intent was to portray Faramir as just another Boromir, he should have just left Boromir alive. For me, it was Faramir that always stood out as one of the most compelling characters in the books. His absolute refusal without the slightest hesitation to take the ring freely offered to him by Frodo was striking. More powerful characters like Galadriel, Gandalf and Aragorn all admitted to or showed at least some level of temptation towards the ring. Faramir by contrast issued that line that always stuck with me about not picking it up if it lay by the side of the road. Jackson obliterated that character.
You make very good points there. And there did not seem really to be a point in doing it, unless Jackson was trying to change the story in that the ring was too powerful for any mortal man to resist. You make a very good point about Tolkien's character that refused to allow himself to be tempted. Also, I never understood why he sent Aragorn over the cliff like that. I did not see what it added.

Well, the Hobbit is a prelude or prequel to the trilogy, but largely a more lighthearted adventure tale in and of its own. I hope Jackson's adaptation tells visually that tale with that flavor and that he does not try to turn it into something else. I like the trailer anyway!