Greetings all! 'sup?
I once read a guitar interview with 'EC' wherein he commented that he would aspire to be able to bring a tear to one's eye with just one note.
I have stipulated for over 35 years that he accomplished an equivalent feat with not one but 4. in the first 4 notes of the guitar solo break from 'Bell bottom blues' on the Derek& the Dominoes Layla album. give the lyrics a close listen up to the break, then appreciate those first 4 notes. If it don't bring a lump I'll eat your hat! there's a few others in that solo, also done with the sort of pinch squeak picking-as i call it;that seems emotional if done in the right ballad tune. not to be confused with its' use by Gary Richrath almost anywhere a guitar break is inserted. No offense Gary, just an observation. Slowhand has also been quoted as saying(much to my extreme agreement!) that"On a good night there's probably no one better than Jeff Beck." But even from my ultra biased JB point of view, I'm not sure anyone can snag a sniffle out of you better than ol' EC. Except possibly Beck's own tune "Where were you" on which the maniac nails 8 notes 'on the nut' with only the 'wang bar' after-picking a 'false harmonic' that one even makes Joe Satriani's ears shoot out of his nostrils. I've seen Jeff do it close-up of both hands on a jumbotron while 'touring' the album it came from and it doesn't help you actually execute it. It's not that one can't understand how to 'do' the technique. Just requiring the God given gift of near perfect 'by ear' pitch along with a precise & non-spastic picking hand & how to set up a 'trem' ultra sensitively functional. whataya think gang? other sweet riffs in mind?