OK, a brief update with pictures to follow, and a thought that maybe I should move this thread to repairs and mods.......

So I received my package of goodies from StewMac yesterday and discovered a couple of things. Firstly, not all vintage tuner peg spacings are the same

Whilst the Golden Age Restoration tuners look almost exactly the same as mine, I really should have measured the spacing, because a little over $50 later, I can't use them. A major annoyance, as the reliced bronze ones I have look amazing, and would have been perfect for this job. I think I'm going to be forced to use something quite different from the original style which will give me much improved functionality, but won't look as original.

So then I popped the StewMac rosewood bridge on and threw a couple of strings on to see what the neck angle, and subsequent action was like. Not good.

The neck is dead straight which is ace, but like (most?) guitars this old, the neck angle is all squished up (technical term) so the action at the 12th fret is about 3/4" or more. Essentially unplayable unless you want to rock open chords all day.

Now for the good news!

Even with just two strings on it, it sounds great! It has sustain for days! More than I expected to be honest.

The next bit of good news was the neck joint. It felt a little loose when I picked up the guitar, so I thought I might be able to avoid that whole messy "remove a fret and drill a hole and inject steam etc" process.

And I did!

A couple of careful, but solid thumps with a rubber hammer right on the heel and "pop!" Off came the neck. Hurray for ancient glue!

So now as I leave for work, I have to try and find some little hardwood off cuts from somewhere so I can work on cleaning, shimming and re-setting the neck. It's going to be a bit of work, but I think having a nice old guitar with great action is worth the woodwork

Pics and updates to follow