It was a pretty bad one. They hit black ice at freeway speeds heading into boise from the sun valley side. They were coming down the hill into town, fog was hitting, saw road flares, started to touch the brakes, then the car broke loose and was heading toward the fire truck that was there attending to 3 other accidents that already had occurred. She hit the fire truck with the passenger side behind my son in the front seat, then got spun around and hit or got hit by another truck in her driver's door. My son was not hurt and handled things like a champ (the son that you met, Mark). My wife ended up with 5 broken ribs (from the door being pushed in), and a bruised lung. She is still in the hospital at the major trauma center in Boise getting pain meds managed until she can be released, likely tomorrow. Sucks, but it could have been so, so much worse. The little Subaru Imprezza Outback is toast. You hear about these freeway accidents and wonder how they happen, but she said when she touched the brakes, the car (AWD with studs all around), took off like a hockey puck. Fortunately, she will be fine, and my son is just a bit sore.

Oh, and the seatbelts saved them. Wear 'em.

Scary pics located here:

http://www.ktvb.com/traffic/alerts/M...&img=0&c=y&c=y

Their car is the little bronze subaru (pics starting at 10) that is almost unrecognizable. Man. We were lucky. Thank God.