Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
That seems like a good plan of action WRT the Ibanez. You can see if you like that and what it does well, doesn't do well, etc.

Before you do too too much with the Epi, I might recommend you just mess with the pickup height a bit. I dinked around with pickup replacement in the past and got very different sounds on an LP by just raising up the neck pickup a bit. It's entirely possible that you will want to change the pickups anyway, but it's a quick tweak that can yield surprising differences. Just screw the two screws on the side of the pickup ring clockwise to raise the pickups.
I just took in into my guy for a setup - works out of his garage, is cheap but quality. He charged me extra for this one but I haven't picked it up yet or asked why, I'm wondering if he adjusted the pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookkeeper's Son View Post
When you say that the pots are "lacking", what do you mean? I'm thinking maybe a humbucker-size P90 for your neck pickup, maybe a GFS Mean 90 (I like mine) or something similar that's brighter than a humbucker.

Personally, I wouldn't pay $100 for a control assembly when I can assemble one myself for half that price. But then, I'm poor.
Pots barely change the tone at all on the epi, and the volume knob is essentially On/off - there's no rolling off the volume. I never cared too much about upgrading it, especially because I wanted to learn how to play first. Now I'm there (debatable) and want to invest in what has developed into an important part of my life.

I looked up doing some work with the pickups on the SX, and couldn't find anywhere near a cost effective solution. What kind of pickups, where do you get them?