Thread: Flat Top Acoustic to consider within 1000 budget?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are some great choices in the sub $1000 range out there. Perhaps too many. When I've shopped for under $500 acoustics, the Guild guitars between $550 and $950 were awesome, but just out of reach. Take a quick look at some of them that my local shop has: http://www.dannyd.com/guild-1/

My other suggestion comes after I bought a Talor GS Mini. This little $500 guitar has a big, clear and very warm sound to it and is the easiest to play acoustic I've ever touched. If you have a Taylor dealer nearby, try the GS Mini out. I love mine so much I'd consider buying another Taylor, which for some reason, I never had an interest in before.
    Check out the below $1000 models Sweetwater has:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/c600--6_St...MDAwMDA5Il19fQ
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Just some of the REALLY great guitars that can be found under $1K...You'll get plenty of folks pushing the Martin/Gibson/Taylor lines, but I think their higher priced models are where these companies excel..

Here are some of the mfg's I've played in the last year that are noteworthy and really giving the big guys a run for their money:

Recording King - Most are very nice and you can get all-solid wood, Ebony fretboard and bridge and Adi-top for under $1K...I have had 3 very nice examples, still have 1. They're really into vintage designs also...
    Eastman - better builds and woods than RK, but the nice ones are approaching $1K (~$800 used) - I have 1 and another on order, very good quality.
    Blueridge - Well built, nice woods, very reliable, Don't own one...yet! Have played about 15 of them and they are a great value and player.
    The Epi Masterbuilts (AJ, DR and EF) - All very nice although I think you can only find the DR Dreadnaughts new now, but plenty of AJ's and EF's in the used market now.
    PRS has some nice models, the Angelus is getting some great reviews
    Aria, Alvarez-Yairi, Higher priced Yamaha's (FG series in particular) are all good names to look for...
    A new company called Teton is putting out some exceptional, mostly laminate back/side models that play and sound fantastic, even a couple with Cedar tops (very sweet sounding), you'll never guess they're laminates!
    Tanglewood out of the UK are making some awesome sounding models
    Good old Washburn is still at it!
    Guild's GAD series have been pretty good players, at least the few I've tried

These are just the ones I've played, I'm sure there are more....good to live in these times with so many options!