I found this on another Forum and thought it was interesting enough to post it here:

"I recently read an interesting article that I’ll summarize quickly here.. It basically pointed out that most of us are willing to spend gobs more cash on a guitar or multiple guitars compared to what we would spend on amps or multiple amps.. It also stated this seems to be backwards being 80% of the tone comes from the amp and 20% from the guitar as far as tone shaping is concerned (not going to inject the “tone comes from fingers” case here)… The bottom line question was could we be better served expanding our amp collection/cash instead?? Nobody was trying to downplay the importance of a great guitar, but the article does have merit at least with me (I’m amp shopping). Just curious what you kids thought…

Quote from article; “With such a huge amount of our tone coming from our amps, it is crazy how many of us guitar players neglect our amp collections in order to buy more guitars. It is not uncommon for a player to have 10 guitars and only one amp. That may not be that big of a deal if the amp is exactly the sound the player is shooting for. However, if this is not the case, then it really does not matter what type of guitar they add to the collection, the improvement in tone may only be marginal. Inversely, if the player had 10 different amps and one good guitar, not only would we all want to come over and hang out, but relatively speaking, he can probably dial in just about any tone he would like to.”

Hmmm.....guess I need some more amps.......