Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Zonkin' Yellow Screamer Owners

Thread: Zonkin' Yellow Screamer Owners

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    I found a "note" from DVM to me when I asked a question that explains the "chips" I was referring to:

"You can even mix the two types--one 1N914 and one red LED--for a kind of hybrid sound. If you do that, be sure that the flat side of the LED and the black stripe on the 1N914 face in opposite directions. Just be a little careful when removing the diodes from the sockets. The 1N914's in particular are quite fragile--the body is made of glass--so don't grab 'em with a pair of metal pliers! Lifting straight up and pushing straight down works best when removing or installing these."
    OK, those would be the clipping diodes. The ZYS Mk II's have compression sockets installed in the clipping diode eyelets for the first clipping position (toggle to the left side), so that you can try diffierent clipping diode combinations and see what you like the best.

Quote Originally Posted by aeolian View Post
    ....The only small issue with my ZYS is that the volume control of the overdrive likely has a lot of gain, since I engage the overdrive mid-song a lot I have to tweak it carefully because just turning up a little bit makes the guitar a lot louder than without the overdrive engaged. Sound-wise there can be no complaints.
    Sounds like you probably have one of the early Mark II's. I found that the volume for the OD side came on too quickly and the boost volume came on too slowly, so I started switching the linear taper pot on the OD side with the audio taper pot for the boost volume in later builds, which seemed to take care of the problem nicely.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chips Ahoy!

To be honest, I’m not really sure what version my ZYS pedal is. DVM, perhaps you can provide me with some input on that as I’d be interested to know.

Chip-wise, it’s really a can’t miss endeavor. To my ear, they all sounded good. As I recall, DVM’s personal choice was one of the Texas Instruments chips - largely on the basis of overall responsiveness across all of the different settings. Having used all (3) of the included chips at one time or another, my favorite is still the JRC4558D – i.e. the chip used in the original TS-808’s. Even with all the tonal flexibility the ZYS has on tap, there’s a certain old school ‘feel’ that the JRC chip imparts that’s hard for me to move away from. Having now come across this post, I may again re-explore my options in that dept. – if for nothing more than an enjoyable afternoon of playing and tone-farming.

The reasons I like my pedal are far too many to mention. But one in particular, I think, extends the highest compliment a player can extend. DVM’s ZYS is at the headwaters of not one – but two of my personal ‘go-to’ tones. And when I say that, I don’t mean that I’m emulating a famous player’s tone or sound. These are my tones. As in when I want to put my personal stamp on a piece of music, these are two of the silver bullets in my gun.

Anyways, after five years of regular playing, my ZYS – i.e.“Big Yellah” - - is still going strong. Which is good, cuz’ I have a lot of music left to create. Cheers to the ‘Old Guard’. - - nelskie