To be honest, I’m not really sure what version my ZYS pedal is. DVM, perhaps you can provide me with some input on that as I’d be interested to know.

Chip-wise, it’s really a can’t miss endeavor. To my ear, they all sounded good. As I recall, DVM’s personal choice was one of the Texas Instruments chips - largely on the basis of overall responsiveness across all of the different settings. Having used all (3) of the included chips at one time or another, my favorite is still the JRC4558D – i.e. the chip used in the original TS-808’s. Even with all the tonal flexibility the ZYS has on tap, there’s a certain old school ‘feel’ that the JRC chip imparts that’s hard for me to move away from. Having now come across this post, I may again re-explore my options in that dept. – if for nothing more than an enjoyable afternoon of playing and tone-farming.

The reasons I like my pedal are far too many to mention. But one in particular, I think, extends the highest compliment a player can extend. DVM’s ZYS is at the headwaters of not one – but two of my personal ‘go-to’ tones. And when I say that, I don’t mean that I’m emulating a famous player’s tone or sound. These are my tones. As in when I want to put my personal stamp on a piece of music, these are two of the silver bullets in my gun.

Anyways, after five years of regular playing, my ZYS – i.e.“Big Yellah” - - is still going strong. Which is good, cuz’ I have a lot of music left to create. Cheers to the ‘Old Guard’. - - nelskie