Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

SVL's telecaster mod thread (P90 and quick connect control unit) in pictures

Thread: SVL's telecaster mod thread (P90 and quick connect control unit) in pictures

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default SVL's telecaster mod thread (P90 and quick connect control unit) in pictures

and words I suppose. For those interested in the project that came out of my neck pickup not working and my interest into a P90 in the neck, which led to interest in a "quick connect" type of wiring kit/control unit. I am part way through the project now (At the time of this first entry)Day 1: , and have kept some notes that I am now posting.

History: Basically, my neck pickup wasn't working consistently, probably due to a bad solder joint. So I used it as an excuse to put a P90 in the neck, and replace the bridge pup with one wound to match the P90, both from Bryan Gunsher of BG Pups. I also am using a 4 way switch solderless wiring kit from Santellan Sounds. Here we go!

Stock guitar with new parts laid out.

New pickups:

Guitar gutted:

I didn't know Warmoth was in Puyallup. I didn't pay attention when I ordered online. I have driven on 112th in Puyallup many times in my yute!

Take out extra wood in control cavity to make room for new Santellan unit. I used a chisel, and my drill to hog out a little bit:

Dry fit to make sure it all lines up:

Painted raw wood to make it look nice, and pulled wires. Bridge set pretty close, neck will need some additional foam as I am not happy with how the pup sits in the hole. Needs to get flattened out, and maybe raised a little. Right now I am just using the foam from under the stock pickup, but it is not wide or thick enough. I will see if I can find an old mouse pad to cut up.

Close up of wiring kit with switches to set for pot values, and wiring connectors:

Wiring diagram for me to figure out.

I will get some new foam, and order some new knobs as the stock ones don't fit. The wiring unit has larger shafts. That's all for this entry.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; July 16th, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson