Go to a place that local drummers go to and get a stick and start tapping on crashes until you find a sound that you like. See how much it costs and tap on some more until you find one in your price range that sounds very similar. Go by ear with it, even try used ones, and go to other stores. Places always have sales. GC even has sales. There isn't much that can go wrong with a cymbal that's brand new.

I like eighteen or nineteen inch crashes, but you could start with a sixteen and later add on. A big crash could almost make a decent starter ride, certain ones anyway.

Cymbals are expensive, so trying to find the type of sound that you want with your drum set is important. You might get a ride that is very loud and "clangy" instead of having that nice "shhhhhh" type sound. When you get the type of cymbal sound that you like you may have to replace any cymbals that you bought that are "way out of that sound". Some cymbals are made for heavy slammers and others are made for a more light touch. Since I'm mostly a stay at home drummer, I like to buy cymbals that do not sound "clangy" and have a soft, dark, "shhhhhhh" type sustain. It is hard to explain.

You have to get what fits in with the way you want to play. I'd move slow and get what I thought was the closest fit to begin with, avoiding super bargains, brand names, pre-conceived ideas, etc., until I found the "one" that I know is what I am looking for. Then move forward from there and hope not to waste too much money on stuff that you will find out that you don't like. You have to use your own ear and you will know.

You are still living in a motel? I didn't know that.