I used to play a nice set of Conga drums at a church I attended. I played with other people and it was really fun. I thought I'd be more shy about it but I got into the groove.

I have been playing drums for a long time and have a lot of beats down and can pick up a lot of different beats easily. I started as a kid about 14 years old. I have a full set of drums, nice ones, and a pro set of three Conga drums in basket stands. The Congas are really fun and not really that hard to play and are a super good way to develop timing and beats.

Playing a regular drum kit is a matter of a lot of coordination, obviously. After a while you can do things without thinking about them - things just flow. It takes a while to develop coordination, but if you have that sound in your head that you are after it makes it easier to play it out.

I'd say the best thing to do is "practice correctly to begin with", learn to refine good drumming habits instead of trying to play free form style, making up your own methods. People play drums a certain way for a reason. But it is all about fun and if you can make it sound good doing it your own way then I'd say you can't beat that.

We are finishing my new drum room and it has a solid wood floor where the drums will sit on a pad and the rest of the room has new carpeting. I am so looking forward to getting in there.

I use a clean sounding guitar amp, 15 watt solid state with a 12 inch Celestion Seventy/80 clean sounding speaker I put in it, to jam along to cd's. Even though the Celestion Seventy/80 speaker is only 30 something dollars, it is a very good speaker and "way" better than the stock one that was in the amp. That extra clarity really brought the music alive and made jamming even more fun. The amp has a cd input, so that is cool. A lot of people set their drums up near their home sound system and rock out there, but a lot of people have their sound system in their living room - a place that most people wouldn't want their drums. I like the guitar amp because it sounds powerful and is super portable.

Practice is the key, obviously. What type of drums are you learning to play? Good luck by the way and I'm positive you will have a lot of fun.

On a special note, John Bonham used the double kick on the rebound method and didn't use two bass drums. Developing a strong foot is also a good idea in order to bring that bass drum right up into the middle of that sound. Cymbal finesse seems to be the mark of a master drummer.