Thread: Amph T00b Questions

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

I always run 12AT7's in the V1 slot, especially an amps 20W or less. It seems to give me more clean headroom. Don't know why, read it somewhere, tried it and it works for me. As for the other slots, I've never experimented or heard anything about changing the type from what comes stock. I usually do try to upgrade all tubes from Chinese to better tubes. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tonebender View Post
    I always run 12AT7's in the V1 slot, especially an amps 20W or less. It seems to give me more clean headroom. Don't know why, read it somewhere, tried it and it works for me. As for the other slots, I've never experimented or heard anything about changing the type from what comes stock. I usually do try to upgrade all tubes from Chinese to better tubes. Hope this helps.
    Eurotubes had recommended a 5751 for the same purpose. Someone else on The Gear Page had put a 12DW7 to accomplish the same thing. Apparently that tube is half 12AX7 and half 12AU7. Might be an interesting thing to try since there isn't a ton of clean headroom on it to begin with. Of course, that's not the point of this amph in the first place.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn