Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post

The wiring is more complicated than you might think, though. First of all, I don't know if DiMarzio humbuckers and Squier single coils are phase compatible, so it may be necessary to connect the 'bucker in reverse to keep it in phase with the two singles. Also, that will affect which of the two coils is active when they're split. And that's important because if the winding and polarity of the active coil isn't the opposite of the middle (RW/RP) single coil, then the 2 position won't be hum cancelling. In which case, I'll probably need to swap the positions of the neck and middle pickups. Also, I've read that you'll get the best "quack" between the split humbucker and the middle pickup if the active humbucker coil is the one closest to the middle pickup, so the physical orientation of the humbucker mounting in the guitar matters, too. So you can see what I mean about it being complicated, and that's not even getting into the possibility of changing pot values....

When you determine exactly what has to be done with the wiring in for your full sized humbucker, you can talk to a Dimarzio tech and make arrangements to have the humbucker custom made so all you will have to do is drop it in and wire it up and it'll noise cancel and produce the optimum quack.

I had to call Seymour Duncan when I put the pickups in my Fender Nashville Telecaster. It only cost about ten dollars more for them to custom wind a neck pickup for my set of Alnico II Pro's.

After I found out what I needed I took the info to my local Seymour Duncan dealer and had them order it the way they told me, from Seymour Duncan.

It worked out great and when finished it actually noise cancelled completely in the two and four switch positions; where the stock Tex Mex pickups never noise cancelled hardly at all. It pays to think it out, needless to say.

You are going to have some fun with this one. I know you already knew the stuff I mentioned, but I thought I'd mention it for those that might not be aware of how complicated a seemingly simple pickup swap can sometimes be.