This isn't about politics. It's about law, and I'm not here to debate the relative merits of anything. Just a personal milestone of sorts.

Although, as a practical matter, marriage equality came to Florida in January, at least for parties wishing to get married here, to date no Florida appellate court had expressly ruled that the Constitution requires marriage equality in the Sunshine State.

That changed TODAY.

In our case, Brandon-Thomas v. Brandon-Thomas, the trial court dismissed a divorce suit based on a same-sex marriage celebrated in another state, based on our state prohibitions of same-sex marriage.

Today that dismissal was REVERSED, and the Second District Court of Appeal declared that marriage equality is required by the Constitution, in the context of parties who wish to be divorced. In the absence of some other DCA holding otherwise, this opinion is binding precedent throughout Florida!

I am so happy for our client, and for all Floridians, who will now be treated with the same respect and dignity, regardless of their gender or sex, regarding the recognition of their right to marry.

Here is the historic opinion, in its full text:

http://www.2dca.org/opinions/Opinion...5/2D14-761.pdf

Unlike almost everything I've done over the last 30 years, my name's actually on this, too.