I'm looking for a tube combo amp w/a 12" speaker. I've been using a Vox VT30 for several years, and find that my favorite amp models are the Fenders, esp the 'Modded Cl (blackface)', and the Tweed 2x12 and 4x10. The Vox models are OK but not my favorite sound, as is the case with demos I've heard of Vox tube amps (too bright). The Vox AC4C1-12 has a lot going for it but it is a top boost type circuit - again, brighter than I like. I've seen reference to EL84 equipped amps being more 'vox-ish' but I notice that many current Fender amps (Blues Jr, Hotrod Pro Jr,) have EL84's , while the Super Champ has 6V6's. I've been looking at the Laney Cub 12R, which has EL84's and in most of the youtube demos does sound more 'british', though here are a couple that have more of the sound I like. Can anyone with experience chime in with thoughts? I know that StingX and MarkB have both written about their Laney's here - can you get a Fenderish sound out of this amp? Any other suggestions for $400 or less?