I have a few Les Paul type guitars, and on the more traditional styles I just stay away from the 22nd fret. Lol

Seriously, I like playing them and something feels good about having a big ol fat chunk of wood breaking my shoulder. I took that to the extremes and now mainly play a PRS SE Tremonti Custom. It's yuuuge, and heavy, but it does have sweet access to the upper frets and I like the neck shape better...most of the time. I've got fat necked Les Pauls and thin necked Les Pauls, and I enjoy drifting back and forth. I don't seem to have any issues with either neck dimension, but I will say that the fat necks take a while to re-adjust to, but once I do I really like it and constantly ask myself "is this what I like best?" Then I pick up a different guitar with a smaller neck and love that too.

Mostly I've found that I play them slung a little lower than other guitars and have the neck pointing up more at an angle. Seems to work for me, and sitting down I've never really felt out of kilter so I'm either adjusted or it's just never felt odd to me. I also play them a lot with both pickups on and adjust the volume for each pickup to vary the tone blend. I can make subtle but perceptible changes that work for many situations...but there ain't nuttin like slammin it to the bridge and wailing either.

If you are used to super strats then ya it's going to be different. Just give it some time and love it for what it is.