Quote Originally Posted by Jipes View Post
Great buy Jimi, I hope it will bring you so much joy and will to record better songs.

As for myself I'm still convinced that this price are way too high for whatever fantastic sound they offer but this is due to my blues background where you can hear Hound Dog Taylor getting the craziest sound ot ouf a cheap japanese guitar
READ THIS!
Thanks Jipes! Here's the little story that made me buy this guitar:
First of all - I don't care if an instrument is inexpensive. My main guitar - until the end of my days - is my Jimmie Vaughan Strat that I bought back in Deutschmark-days for the price of 800 DM, which equals 400 Euro, which is around 500 USD. Why is this my main guitar? Well, it inspires me every time I pick it up. Every turn of the potis, every time I restring it....recentyl unblocked the trem after almost 20 years...it unleashed super creative potential along with the trem arm.

See, I was bored by some of my guitars, although these are great instruments.
So I started checking the local guitar builders. I wanted a Les Paul, because I have the best Strat in the world already - no kidding. Some of the builders were a big disappointment to me.
Some were inpolite, had their own buidling philosophie that they tried to indoctrinate to me. Some of them were just impolite and tried to pushe me with placing the order. So I started looking around for a vintage Les Paul - the market and especially the sellers are horrible.

They lied about headstock repairs, refins, weight, etc. Especially one vintage dealer invited me and confirmed in advance a certain fix cash minimum price for my 76 Strat. He had a nice Les Paul from 71...when I arrived at his location he said he did confirm 500 Euro less than I understood - I had a written confirmation (e-mail) - he denied. I've made professional photos, demos, etc. so he knew exactly what he was going to buy.

See, it's a long story. All I want to say is that I always try to support the local builders and dealers, but sometimes I have my own pride and don't wanna be held for stupid!

Actually, the 58 was out of scope, original price 6,5k USD! So after having saved up a nice budget, I wasn't under pressure with buying a guitar. I drove to that same store where I played the 58 and shot the videos.
They were supposed to have the last dark vintage burst 58 True Historic. This was exactly the colour I wanted - no compromise - not for that kind of invest. Arrived at the store and asked for the guitar...the guy could only find the case to that guitar and said the guitar is not in the warehouse...but it must have been somewehre, right?!

So I strived through the Custom Shop department when I saw that this lovely 58 I've played was still there...stopped dreaming when I sat the price tag again.
However, the guitar I've seen online had a certain serial number which was to be found under the spec information.

Don't know how or why, but my instinct told me to turn around the expensive 58 and look at the serial number.
THERE IT WAS! The exact serial number that was mentioned online. My heart started rushing. I asked the guy if this is the guitar and he said - well yes it's this guitar - we identitfy all guitars by serial number not by article number!
"If the online price is (5k), you will of course get it for the price." It felt like winning the lottery!

As I mentioned in the firts post - I've never experienced an instrument touching me that much, since 1998 when I bought my Jimmie Vaughan. From there on, it was no question - it had to be this guitar.
If it was 599 Euros and had the same effect. well it would have been the same experience! You guys know me for more than 10 years now - I'm a normal guy with a bug heart for music and family and some 30+ gigs and studio work!

Of course it felt kinda strange buying such an expensive guitar, BUT it was all my own budget, no family money, it was a great chance to diminish the collection to the essence.
Having played this beauty for the first time today at home (had a flu...), it's all I was looking for in a Les Paul guitar - so warm, so transparent, it's incredible, but definitely something you have to feel that video and audio won't represent in it's fullness.

Hopefully, my move is a little more comprehensive now :-)