Quote Originally Posted by Jipes View Post
In fact I felt put aside because I had quite some expectations for this new line-up planning for example to record a new album with some new material that I wrote and all of sudden both musicians decided to join a talented younger player and I felt like a "dog shit" asking myself why should I go on ? Did I had the real motivation to start all over again ? On top of that I suffer from joint arthritis and this really made me loose confidence and the will to go on.

I guess I'm so addicted that it would be impossible to stop even with the pain ( I've now switch to lower gauge strings to lower the pain)
Ahh, the joys of getting older! In my mind, it's better that they go off with someone else. Otherwise, eventually the band would just be miserable for you because they would make it that way. Might as well keep on playing with others who appreciate what you can do!

Mercifully I don't have arthritis (yet), but as most people here know I had a serious hand injury 17 years ago and lost my first three fingertips on my right hand. I had to decide whether I'd keep playing or not--although I just play for my own enjoyment, not in a band. I had to relearn a great many things and there are some things I can't do (fingerstyle, for example. Ironically I was just starting to work on that before the accident). But I still enjoy it. I can still slap and pop on my bass. For hybrid picking I learned to use my intact pinkie. Basically I decided not to let my own stupidity keep me from playing