Thread: Your top 10 favorite "obscure or unknown" songs?

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your top 10 favorite "obscure or unknown" songs?

I decided to start this thread so members could be vocal and introduce each of us to artists and/or songs we would like to spread the word about. These selections can be songs from either well known or obscure artists.

I've included some sound samples. If you see 2 URLs, that means that I found 2 differnt sound samples and one may be better than the other. None of these clips do the songs justice, but something is better than nothing, right? The first one is normally the 1st 30 seconds of the song, the second in the middle.

Here's my top 10 as of today:
    (subject to change without notice)

1. Ezy Ryder (Jimi Hendrix) [1] [2]
    I don't know why this song isn't well known. It sounds so modern and full of energy to me.

2. Drifting (Jimi Hendrix) [1] [2]
    Really beautiful song. Who else could mix xylophone with reverse feedback guitar?

3. Kid Gloves (Rush) [1] [2]
    I love the riff in this song... it's very fun to play.

4. The Bell (Mike Oldfield) [1] [2]
    This song is so cool... it starts with a basic riff and adds 1 instrument after another until it builds up to a grand finale. Highly recommended if you can find the whole song!

5. Man In The Rain (Mike Oldfield) [1] [2]
    This song just does something to me... I can't explain why. Must be the vocalist's voice that intoxicates me.

6. Sugar Foot Rag (John 5)
    [1]
    I know this is a cover, but mixing shred and country licks together is really appealing to me.

7. Everything Under The Sun: Rise & Shine/Am I Ever Going To Change? (Extreme) [1] [2]
    Kind of a mini "Abbey Road" tyoe of tune. 3 parts to it in total.

8. Guns For Hire (AC/DC) [1] [2]
    One of my favorite AC/DC songs of all time. The intro and main riff is your usual Angus & Malcom affair. This song gets me speeding on the highway all the time.

9. Working Man (Rush) [1] [2]
    Another awesome song to drive or jam to.

10. Selfish (Ned's Atomic Dustbin)
    [1] [2]
    This band featured 2 bass and 1 guitar in each song. They have their own sound and chaged direction on each album. God Fodder and Are You Normal? are their best IMHO.

These may not be for everyone... but I gave it a shot.

-tremoloman
    Last edited by tremoloman; January 2nd, 2006 at 11:29 AM. Reason: needed to tidy up my message ;)
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix