Thread: Mad Monkey vs. SD-1 vs. OS-2

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Hello All,

I recently acquired a DS-1 off the bay. I found it a bit thin sounding. But put in front of the monkey it sounds great!! Do you guys find a sweet spot with each pedals gain on about 2 or 3 somewhere near there? Mine just smooths out and is very responsive. I really like the treble and bass control it really helps dial in the tone and helped me thicken up the DS-1. The only problem is if I want to go clean I have to shut both off instead of one.

I love em!

M29
    I really like that combo myself.
    If you want to be able to shut both distortions down quickly try an inexpensive loop selector pedal such as the Behringer AB100 or AB200. If you put them on their own loop you can shut them down with one pedal stomp.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys, I will check into that loop selector Spud, sounds like what I need.

I haven't messed with this setup (ds-1/monkey) much yet as I use it mainly with my Power Block that I only play ocasionally in the basement when no one is home. My ad50vt has so much versatility in the way of distortion and overdrive that I usually don't use my pedals with it. I have tried it and it sounded good but I would like to try it longer with the Vox before I comment on what it is like to be fair. I have heard that the ing amps are not that fond of overdrive pedals but I am not experienced enough yet to make judgment on this.

I recently did do a (Rectifier CMAT Tri-Gain Mod) Monte Allums mod to the DS-1 which thickened it up some and smoothed and increased the distortion some. A nice mod to upgrade the DS-1. I would like it smoother yet though, why is it that most of us want it smooth and the pedal companies don't make em like that? I guess they do if you want to spend the money and the DS-1 is quite old now days. I haven't been playing long and I won't go into a guitar center and let anyone hear me play so I don't get to try pedals out before I buy.

I do have to say though, I am getting enough experience now to really enjoy my ad50vt. I have had it a year now and I am just starting to zero in on certain settings that I like. A great little amp indeed.
    If I do use the DS-1 or Monkey with the ad50vt I use it on a clean amp such as the Tweed or Boutique clean.

Thanks guys.

M29
    Last edited by M29; March 3rd, 2007 at 11:24 PM. Reason: To answer MPsounds question.