Thread: Floated bridge - tricks to stay in tune

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Floater works

I use 3 springs, Locking tuners and a graphite nut. My MIM stays in tune surprisingly well. The tuners are Planet Waves with the built in cutter. I also have the "big" steel block on the trem.
    Agile AL3000 Lefty
    Alvarez RD20L Lefty
    Blueridge BR-70 Lefty
    FenderMIM Strat Lefty
    LTD Viper400 Lefty
    Fender 50th Deluxe Lefty
    Fender MIM Telecaster Lefty
    Line6 Spider lll 75 righty
    VOX AD50VT 212 righty

Post Thanks / Like

Alot, I think depends on the set up. I agree though too with alot of the recommendations from others; I always lubricate the nut with graphite too. I use 3 springs, make sure the neck is pretty straight, etc. Also, when I put new strings on, I stretch them real well....stretch, tune the guitar, stretch the strings again, tune, etc...until when you stretch the guitar doesn't go out of tune.

With 9's on my strats and a floating trem, this seems to do the trick: the guitar stays in tune very well. Changes in temperature seem to kick it out of tune more than the floating trem (no kidding..)
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    Changes in temperature seem to kick it out of tune more than the floating trem (no kidding..)
    Boy is that ever true!

Before gigs I setup around 1-2 hours early for the guitars to "breathe" so I don't wind up tuning like mad between songs.

I forgot to mention the modern Fender string trees... huge improvement over the vintage butterfly models.

I've also seen ones at Stew-Mac and other places that have a weel on the similar to a LSR nut. Been anxious to try one of those out.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix