I've finally decided that I should never go to Guitar Center anymore. Only because I it keeps fueling my G.A.S.

I've always wanted to own a guitar with the classic Gibson tone but never had the $$ to get the real thing. I've had Les Paul and 335 copy guitars over the years but have since traded them or sold them for other equipment. None of them felt like hanging on to.

This weekend I visited Guitar Center to kill a couple of hours playing some guitars. I decided to start getting familiar with the various Gibson models that I would consider (if I did have the cash one day). I played a custom shop 335 and some of the newer Les Paul Standards. (the 335 was to die for) I wouldn't normally go for a Les Paul thinking that they are too heavy and not versatile enough, however the newer 2007 models are much lighter due to a new way that they make the bodies. There is a weight-relieved design they are doing now on the newer Les Paul Standards, which is essentially a chambered body.

I was really impressed with one particular Les Paul Standard. It was actually lighter than the 335 and sounded very good for jazz/blues tones that I like. It sounded almost like a semi-hollowbody in some ways. It also had the screaming Les Paul tone that they're famous for. The burstbucker pickups sounded very warm, and the nitro finish felt great, like I was playing a vintage Les Paul. I really enjoyed playing that guitar. Maybe someday ...

-- Jim