Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
New David Gilmour CD!

Thread: New David Gilmour CD!

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation New David Gilmour CD!

I know there's a lot of Pink Floyd fans on our forum, so I just thought I'd mention that David Gilmour's new album "On An Island" is set for release this coming Tuesday, 3/7/06.

David Gilmour has one of the most instantly recognized guitar tones and playing styles in all of rock, and truly, has been at the forefront of modern rock music for well over (30) years. It goes without saying that he's influenced millions of guitarists around the world, including myself.

I probably speak for every Pink Floyd fan in that I will always remember the very first time & place I ever heard their music. The song was "Money", and I distinctly remember being totally mesmerized as soon as those first opening chords hit my ears. I was speechless, dumbfounded, excited, and mystified - all at the same time. My life hasn't been the same since.

I have David's two other solo albums, "David Gilmour", and "About Face", and they're both fine efforts by a songwriter / guitarist / musician par excellence'. If you're looking for a Pink Floyd album, however, I will warn you that while David guitar's and vocals are a big part of the Pink Floyd sound, his solo material tends to stay a safe distance away from it. Not that you won't hear cool, Floydian-type stuff going on. I mean, it's bound to happen. But don't expect another "Dark Side of the Moon", or "Wish You Were Here". My initial take on it is that the style of it will be closer to the more recent Pink Floyd releases, i.e. "Momentary Lapse of Reason" and "The Division Bell". All things being considered, I can't remember many CD's in the last (5) - (10) years that I was as excited about coming out as this one!

Anyways, here's the Amazon.com link to David's page. They have a cool mini-rockumentary type video available, too, so for sure check that out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174
    Last edited by Nelskie; March 5th, 2006 at 08:58 AM.