I have two Carvins. I think you get what you pay for but be carefull about the pickups. The first one I bought several years ago was a TL60 with two humbuckers and two single to dual coils switches and a three way. I had MV series pickups I think and they had to go for SD JB bridge and 59 neck. Much better. But the guitar, which I still own but I'm thinking about selling, is a maple neck thru with poplar or alder wings (they were changing right about that time). It doesn't quite have it when it comes to tone. I think it's too stiff due to the maple neck thru (ebony board). However the guitar is very well built and is structurally sound. And it looks pretty good. Haven't had a problem with it. It's a good all around guitar that just lacks that magic tone. The second one I bought is a SH250 recently. I'd been waiting for a 22 fret glued in neck. I love the 25 inch scale. I am very happy with it and the pickups. My favorite guitar right now. 22 fret, ebony on mahogany neck glued in- not through. Body is semi-hollow mahogany with maple top. I got the vintage PAF style bridge pickup- not the hot one. And I got the lowest impedance, brightest neck pickup (not sure they still offer it). It's got vol and tone pull for single coil. This guitar has much more expression and does the humbucking and single coil thing very well. I think their overall quality has gone down a little in the last 10 years but they are still very well constructed instruments. Just watch out for the "hot" pickups and get a mahogany neck thru if you want to go that way. Just my opinion. Cheers!