Hello.

As you may or may not know, Gibson is using what they call a "H90" pickup for their BJA Les Paul Junior. I've asked them what that actually is, and got this answer:

"The H-90 pickups are complete P-90 pickups that have an under-wound enamel wire coil stacked below the single coil of the P-90. This provides some hum cancellation in the pickup. [...] BJA's pickup is not entirely hum-canceling, only reduces the hum from what you'd get on a P-90."

I understand that at least in theory it is possible to make a H90 into a real P90 by modifying the wiring, however I was not able to obtain the exact information on how to go about doing that. IIRC, there's another guitar from Gibson that uses a push-pull pot or a similar device for coil-splitting a H90 pickup (I forget which guitar that is).

My questions are:

1. Has anyone actually played a BJA LP Jr.? How does it compare with a regular Gibson Custom Shop LP Jr. Reissue with a regular P90 sound-wise? I understand the pickup on the BJA is noticeably hotter than a regular P90, but are there any other big differences? Does the hum-cancelling attempt cut into the vintage P90 sound? Any sound clips are appreciated - there's no shop where I live that will have them in stock unless I actually pay for one.

2. Any ideas if the BJA pickup is coil-splittable, and if it is, does anyone know of a wiring diagram for this? I'm thinking, if I do eventually get one but dislike the sound of the H90 I might be able to revert it to a P90 by myself without paying for a new pickup.

Thanks.