Hey Fretters - I came across this link while researching some info on Clapton's various guitar rigs. It's from Fender's UK & Ireland site, which differs here and there from the the US site. Anyways, you can check it out at:

http://www.fender.co.uk/fenderfiles/...rsToDieFor.asp

While I realize the necessity of Clapton's inclusion in that list, it still amazes me that people address his Gibson-era as more of an afterthought. IMHO, it was his stuff with the Yardbirds, Mayall / Bluesbreakers, & Cream that established him as a recognizable guitarist, and certainly, that tone that completely re-directed modern rock in the mid-60's. Yes, Hendrix may have revolutionized the way it was played, but w/o Clapton's influence, and usage of Gibson / Marshall equipment, rock n' roll may have never experienced one of the most important tonal infusions since its birth.

The one point that is the most noteworthy of all is that Mr. Clapton auctioned of two of his most hallowed Stratocasters to benefit others in need. Clapton's Crossroads Centre in Antigua assists people struggling with drug & alcohol dependency, a disease of which Eric himself has been face-to-face with. Thankfully, ol' Slowhand is still with us, and to present day, has remained an active and vital force in the world of music.