My "Lynch" tone comes from the UK80s model with the gain all the way up on it. The volume is set at max...the treble at about 2:00...the middle at about 11:00...the bass at 1:00...the master set anywhere past 12:00 depending on the overall volume. On the back of the amp the variable output knob is at about 75%. Like I mentioned I use compression on that model because it hits the amp just a little harder in the preamp and it also smooths out the chunk and adds some real nice overdrive frequencies much like a moded Marshall cranked at very loud volumes! I too am a big George Lynch (Dokken) fan and have always liked his Marshall tone.

Yeah you pretty much give up any chance of using the other effects when you're only using the compression circuit on the Vox. But it sounds gooooooood and you might not even miss having any other effect. If you really wanted to have full versatility with the amp you could always supplement your rig with a digital delay pedal and reverb pedal since those 2 effects are widely used anyway. That way you can compress any model you like and still have your delays and reverbs. I thought about doing that also...even though it's more added expense. BUT in the long run it would be a cool idea since I'd rather spend my money on music stuff than something like crack! LOL

Yes I also agree that the Numetal setting is very fuzzy for most songs we're familiar with but I'll bet you you'll run into a tune on the radio and hear that particular sound and go..."oh yeah that sounds like the Numetal model". Be open minded with all the hi gain models too because you can get surprisingly different sounds by just adjusting the gain to lower settings like Robert suggested. The Valvetronix amps are really very versatile!

Also I use the same settings mentioned above but with lower compression and lower guitar knob volume (like at around 3) for AC/DC type sounds. I always set my mids on my own Marshalls at around 11:00 or even 10:00. It always seemed to mimick everyone else's Marshall sound too so I incorporated that idea over on the UK models on the Vox.

My "rock/metal" guitar is the Les Paul Studio. I'm playing through a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates humbucker in the bridge. I've also put a "treble bleed" modification on the volume pot so that when I turn down the guitar volume I don't lose any treble frequencies. Les Pauls are notorious for that. This way when I turn the pot down to like 3 I still have nice crispy useable tones for rhythm stuff...then I just turn up for leads.

Rob