I found this site via Robert's Dolphinstreet site. I first took up guitar in grade school, but dropped it when my parents wouldn't let me have an electric but my cheapo acoustic was like playing a cheese slicer. I also hated the awful books my instructer insisted on using to teach me.

When I was a senior in high school, I picked up the bass and played that through college and grad school. When I finally got my master's, I sold it. Dumbest move I ever made.

About four years ago I picked up a used Charvel Model 7 (tele-style with an aftermarket Hot Rails at the bridge), a Peavey Blazer 158, and a Zoom 505II. In May of last year, I saw that Musician's Friend was blowing out their Fender Showmaster Celtic H's for US$249 (original retail was US$899), so I snagged one. It is infinitely better than my Charvel which has now been relegated to "dust collector." In November, I picked up the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT for US$239.

Right after Christmas I bought Doug Marks' Metal Method course along with the Classic Metal Licks DVD and SRV Style DVD. Good stuff. I've probably learned more from that in less than a year than I have from anything else over my lifetime. I like 80s-era metal and the blues.