Thread: 250K & 500K pots - What's the difference?

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default 250K & 500K pots - What's the difference?

I’m certain some of you can help enlighten me on the subject of 250K & 500K pots. I've read various contradictions on this subject so I’m going I've got a few questions I'm hopeful you could answer for me.

Why did Fender use all 500K pots in MIM Standard Strats back in 1994?
    I recently acquired a MIM Strat from 1994. The guitar was bone stock and the electronics were toast. I took it apart to inspect the beast and much to my surprise it had been equipped with 500K pots. I asked my cousin to look at his 1994 MIM Strat - his also has 3 x 500K pots. If conventional wisdom says to use 250K pots in a S/S/S configuration, why did Fender use 500K pots back then? Was there a reason they went back to all 250K which is the standard now?

For a H/S/S setup – would you use a 250K or 500K volume pot?
    According to Fender’s wiring diagrams, 3 x 250K pots are the standard with their guitars assembled with this arrangement. Since there is a humbucker installed, would a 500K pot be more appropriate?

250K vs 500K for tone controls? Any substantial difference?
    My H/S/S Strats are setup with 500K pots for volume and 250Ks for tone controls. Is this standard or should I have 500K pots across the board? I've always been told to just upgrade the volume pot to 500K, but considering my 1994 MIM has all 500K pots with a single coil setup, I'm befuddled which is the proper setup. I don’t know what benefit or change in sound these would make, so if you could fill me in I’d appreciate it very much!
    Last edited by tremoloman; May 19th, 2006 at 11:53 AM.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix