Thread: Budget Strat - which one adds up?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

A guy at the jam last night had one of the SX strats, with P90's. He said it played and sounded terrific (I agree). This is a guy who can afford some nice gear, and he said was starting to regret having 2 $1000 strats, since the SX ones he has bought are just about as good. This person is a good guitarist and pretty picky about tone.

I have an Affinity strat which I love. Got if off ebay several years ago for $75, and everyone who plays it is amazed. I've also had lots of people compliment me on the tone.

I'm sure that the expensive strats are very good, but I'm beginning to wonder...

Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birv2
    I have an Affinity strat which I love. Got if off ebay several years ago for $75, and everyone who plays it is amazed. I've also had lots of people compliment me on the tone.
    How do the Affinity series compare to the rest of the Squier range? I know they're the cheapest but are there any major problems with them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tibernius
    How do the Affinity series compare to the rest of the Squier range? I know they're the cheapest but are there any major problems with them?
    They generally are of lower grade in the electronics department and the bodies are thinner. But, the clear finish Affinities are usually made of alder wood so they have that going for them and the necks often feel quite good. Some folks like Duff have hot roded them and have a fine guitar to play. I personally don't like the flexiness of the neck/body joint due to the body thickness being less than standard models. They can still be a good bang for the buck but you should try before you buy because they often need some work before they are ready to do the job.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.