This is where I stick my head in the dirt as a Gibson "traditionalist". Gibson is exploring the market with the Robot and now the Dark Fire. They're trying to compete with Fender and Line 6, but they are ignoring their base market and pricing these "innovations" way above the level the target market can afford - while attempting to cash in on the Gibson brand.

The Fender VG and Line 6 Variax are priced well below whatever Gibson offers. It seems to me that Gibson has forsaken it's true strength and has decided that the cachet alone will carry the brand and command the prices. Gibson has discontinued a good deal of popular models lately to focus on gadget filled guitars in hopes that they will sell at typical Gibson premium prices. The target demographic for all of these gadgets is young guns - and they don't have the financial firepower for these guitars.

Whatever new group of suits is now helming Gibson, they are steering the wrong course. Their base market has always been a more well heeled, mature player seeking a great guitar and having the money to afford it - not some wild eyed kid drooling over the gadgets and Gibson brand cachet without two nickels to rub together.

Gibson's tradition of excellence does not lie in offering gadget and gimmick laden, iPOD style guitars. It lies in building a consistantly excellent line of "traditional" guitars.

OK..................................Off Rant!

It's Friday and I have a gig tomorrow night..................

Time for a cocktail....................................