Quote Originally Posted by Robert
Thanks Nelskie, those are great amps for sure. Now for the allmight question - how do they compare to the new Peavey Valve King?
You're right, Robert - the VK's are some really nice amps. I've played through a couple of the 112's down at my local shop, and I like what I hear. Without getting into a whole lot of detail, here's how I would compare the differences:

1.) Tone - The VK has a patented feature that blends the tonal characteristics of Class A & A/B architecture. To me, the VK has more of a "British" flavour than my Classic 30 - as in tones more akin to Vox and Marshall amplifiers. Also seems to be a bit darker on the bottom end, again al-a Marshall amps. Moving the control towards the Class A side yields a brighter, more mid-rangey tone. All-in-all, there's tons of usable sounds in this amp just waiting to be let out.

2.) Speaker - The factory speaker that comes in the VK has a very nice overall balance, not yielding to one variance over the other. Again, I think this was done to enhance the A/B blending feature of the amp, which was wise choice from the production end of things. Given your musical preference and playing style, the speaker change-out would offer loads of interesting options on this amp. For instance, if you liked the Marshall sound more, a Celestion Vintage 30 or Eminence Governor / Wizard might really make some cool things happen in the tone dept.

3.) Aesthetics - I love what Peavey did with this amp from the aspect of visuals, which are reminiscent of the classic Fender Blackface look, though still with a modern feel. This amp would look great behind you on any stage, or perched in a prominent place in your home studio.

4.) Power - 50W of all-tube power sounds good any way you cut it. However, this amp really shines with the volume level up, esp. with that tonal blending feature. I recall one of our Fretters doing a post awhile back, and he mentioned the same. This amp literally begs to be played live, and LOUD! The Classic 30 also has this same "play me loud NOW" vibe going for it, but only at the 30W level - which is still very loud for a tube amp.

I equate my Classic 30 to a poor man's Fender-style tweed amp, and that's still saying a lot, because it does have a sound all its own, although geared in the classic Fender vein. The Valve King might be considered a poor man's Marshall / Vox combo, with a smattering of Fender vibe thrown in for good measure. And at $400 bones, it's certainly a lot of amp for the money. And being a piece of "made in the USA" Peavey gear, you can be assured that it's designed for rugged use, and frequent high-volume playing. Like I've stated before, I'd have one of these already if it weren't for me owning a very capable Classic 30 rig.

That being said, I'm hoping that Spudman will do us all a favor and get one, so we can hear some sound clips of it in action. There's a rumor floating around that the Post 90's Amp Wing at his Gear Warehouse is relatively empty.