Thread: Why so few Gibson posts?

Hybrid View

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, algonquin remembers EVERYTHING! You scary, man!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert , I would like to own a 335 but $$$$$$ is the main reason for not owning one. I have been to the factory store and played on several of the demos , nothing jumped out at me other than the 335. I like a good sounding guitar that I can afford to learn on.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my gibson and anyone thats played it loves it too.
    If you "really" want a les paul I'm sure there's one out there for you, no sense in trying out a bunch to no avail If you really don't like them to begin with.. thats ok

As far as discussing it ,well most discussions here revolve around "chimey" singlecoils thru a fender-ish amp blues licks.
    I wish I had a nickle for every time "chimey " has been posted here.
    if "chimey" is all that matters than fender is the way to go

Not going to get that from a les paul so I just roll with the flow because no one else seems to talk about their Gibsons much.

I've owned a few fenders in my day and like them alot.
    I like superstrats too but the general concensus I get is that the majority of regular posters "don't care for pointy guitars" so I don't mention them much either.

I like the company here, thats what I like about this place , I can easilly get my Gibsons and shred machine kicks elsewhere no harm in that.

this place has evolved and gains members no problem ,, keep it up
    guitars-esp m1,esp vintage plus strat,85 gibson LP std,Hamer std,hagstrom xl-5,takamine 330r
    amps-egnater tweaker,epi vj w/brat mod
    efx-byoc/dvm comp, j cantrell wah,ocd,catalinbread dls,wampler plextortion,ibanez chorus,tech21 boost dla

Post Thanks / Like

Andy don't let the perceived preferences of the Fretters stop you from talking about what you like. Open discussion of all types of guitars is good for this place.

Pretty soon new Fretters will be of the opinion that people here just like guitars period.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    As far as discussing it ,well most discussions here revolve around "chimey" singlecoils thru a fender-ish amp blues licks. . . .

this place has evolved and gains members no problem ,, keep it up
    Andy, I am a pretty new player still and started with my strat. So to a certain extent, it is all I know. I know I have used that chimey word on at least one occasion. I am just getting to know my Viking, with its more 335 style. I hope to keep evolving as a player. It is why I like to talk about it with others that have more and different experience than I have. I sure welcome some more discussion so I can get more ideas on how to find out what my non-strat guitar can do.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if we had a 335 style section? I'm not sure what would generate the or stimulate the discussion. I've brought up my Dot in the Epi forum and discussed 335 style versatility, but one or two responses and it dies.

I don't think it's so much Viking, Gibson, or Epi that need to be discussed, but style of guitar.

Another thought, how about a section for hollow body and semi hb guitars?

I'm just throwing thoughts out. I think the hb and semi hb section might be something to consider.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

ive been a long time player of gretsch and fender guitars for years and up untill now ive had one gibson a j200 and always thought of getting another so i finally made the decision and bought one .

es 335 sunburst 50th anniversary

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/368307...s81529_lg1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by g6120
    ive been a long time player of gretsch and fender guitars for years and up untill now ive had one gibson a j200 and always thought of getting another so i finally made the decision and bought one .

That's a very tasty guitar. I must admit - I started out with a Squier for two weeks, then bought a BC Rich Warlock...then another Warlock...Then my Jackson superstrat.

Well, in all honesty, I don't have much experience with Fender or Gibson (I'm skint) but I bought a 335 style guitar recently and it rips! I love it! If this counts in the discussion about Gibsons, then I'm in!

There's just something about them 335's. A lot of people seem to like them, and for good reason, in my opinion! They are very versatile guitars, and that, also in my opinion, is something that Gibson definitely had going for them in the early days, with V's, SG's, LP's, and ES's. They can just about cover the spectrum. You really only need a Strat and Tele after that.

And a warlock

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhhh "Top Wrapping" so thats what you call it.

When I got my BB1200 the strings had been wrapped over the tail piece, you could tell because there were ugly wear marks where the strings had worn into the metal. I kinda wondered why they previous owner (who was a professional touring musician) would have done that, and then changed back. Now I know why I guess. In any case I've since replaced the tail piece for a nice shiny new one and strung it "traditionally".

Back OT though. I am also much, much more a fan of Gibson style guitars than Fenders. The only reason I don't actually have a couple of LP's and/or SG's or a nice HB is because every time I went to buy one, I played a Maton that sounded and felt better. Hence the brother and sister Maton's in my gallery

So yeah, bring on the hum bucking "four knobber" (loved that term) discussions, I'm all in

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! That's one sweet guitar! :
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Yum. What a nice guitar. Congrats.

Post Thanks / Like

double yum!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    I like superstrats too but the general concensus I get is that the majority of regular posters "don't care for pointy guitars" so I don't mention them much either.
    Yeah, I think you, Mage, and I are the official "Pointy Club of TheFret." Of course, I don't actually have a pointy guitar, mind you. Someday . . .
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... it's never struck me particularly that this was 'Fender place'. I enjoy the range of discussion about different guitars - electric and acoustic - guitar playing, music, toilet paper..... I tend to read from the 'latest posts' page and never have really read by sections, so hadn't noticed that perhaps there are fewer Gibson posts, looked at that way.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Do we have an Ibanez forum? If we do I can certainly do some posting there. :

I have an Agile and 2 Epiphone LPs and they all play really nice. They just get really heavy to gig with. And for the record - I've never used that certain word that Andy says everyone uses. Come on guys get a little more creative with your words would ya. Think onomatopoeia. My Strats scree bloing.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I just think of this place as a guitar forum. That's why I (long ago) posted video of my Switch Innovo. 2 EMG Select pickups, Wilkinson trem, etc.etc............
    I also love my Agile LP with the WCR pickups. It plays and sounds as good or better than the Gibson LP's I've owned.
    The one thing I've really become aware of over the years is no matter what guitar/amph/effects I buy or play.......... it always comes back to my playing, technique, touch.
    I can tell the difference in the strings, picks, volume, eq, room size/shape, and other aspects of my playing, where I couldn't at one time.
    I still struggle with phrasing, overplaying, and other aspects of "getting it right", as far as what I want to hear, but it's all good, I'm still learning, and I find new ideas and inspiration here daily.
    Am I far enough off-topic yet?
    Here's my point........ no matter what you play, no matter what you spend dollar-wise, you will have to let your ears be your guide.........
    What do you want to hear? How do you want it to sound?
    If you can't answer that, a half-million dollar '59 flametop won't help you achieve your goals. If you can answer that, you're on your way, no matter what gear you have, what it costs, who crafted it, you will find your voice.
    It's about what's best for you, not what's best.
    Now go get it.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal