Thread: Boss ME-50 review - I think I've cracked it (long)

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Pretty brave of you getting rid of all your other pedals. I'm not that brave.

I hear you about the convenience of connections. Getting rid of all the weak connections and cables is a good thing. I know I've been pretty happy moving to all-in-one unit too.
    It sounds like the ME50 could be a good unit. I imagine the prices are pretty good on them? Do the modules actually sound like the Boss pedals they are supposed to emulate? That would be a good thing if Boss did that. Did you have any Boss pedals that this unit replaced?
    I've had or used the following Boss products, some of them more than once as indicated:

Overdrives etc: CS3, OD1, OD2R, OD3 (2x), OS2, BD2, SD1, MZ2 (don't ask)

Modulations: CE2 (x3), CE3, TR2

Delays: DM3, DD3 (x3)

Others: LS2, PSM5, TU12H, ME30 multi

The only references I've got are for the ODs I mentioned in the review. They all pretty much do what it says on the label except they don't quite respond quite like the individual pedals. I could go into (enormous) detail here, but won't. You have to hear them to get the slight differences. You can get those signature tones but don't assume you can just put the knobs where you would on the pedal for the same sound.

It is what it is, an effects box designed for use into an amp, NOT a POD competitor. The GT series are closer to that (and the ME-70 sits in the middle ground). The chorus is much like a CE series (more CE3 than CE2) and the trem doesn't have the wave knob you get on a TR2 (but sounds better IMO). The delays are digital delays rather like a Boss DD3 but with tap tempo and 2 seconds total.

I like the fact that I can feed the front end of my ersatz Fender (or Marshall) amp with something labeled Tube Screamer and get what I expected, which has not been my experience with multi effects in the past.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always heard good things about the ME50 and it sounds like you are in agreement. The ME70 is being offered as "preorder" at all the web stores and at the moment it is only $4 more ($299).

You are probably right that the ME50 price will drop (or the ME70 will increase). Outside of four foot swithes (me70) versus three (ME50), I haven't looked to see what the differences are.

I am selling my RP350 and some other things in order to purchase the ME50 and a Blackheart, so your review was very timely. Now, if I can get a timely buyer I will be all set.

Good review.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!