Reviving this thread a bit. Robert is considering a Pedal Train PT-2, and I am considering how I want to build a board. This quote is from Robert's "new toy" thread that I started to hi-jack. Any thoughts, experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
The PT-2 looks really cool. I have been thinking of a "build my own" one like Robert has, and currently just carry the ones I want in an old softside laptop case. I think a large enough laptop case could do me just fine if I found one, for less dough.

Yep, I just looked, you can find soft side laptop cases for cheap on fleabay. If I got one more of those, I could carry all my stompboxes and my wah, looper etc. in two cases and connect them with a short cable. I like that PT-2, but don't want to spend $200 on a case.
I like the laptop case idea rather than a suitcase because to me it seems nicer to lug around.

Here is an older photo showing the case I am using with a few of my pedals in it. I now have the pedals lined up in the opposite orientation (horizontal in the case instead of vertical), and have the case full of my stompboxes only. I am thinking of a second, similar case for my wah and my looper, and maybe one or two stompboxes. I also now leave the pedals hooked up for transport (I use a 9 spot power source which I leave plugged in, and don't worry about the batteries for short transport), lay coiled cables over the top, and zip it up. The straps that are supposed to hold the laptop seem to hold the pedals pretty well for the short trips I am doing. I don't fly or do any airport travel with this stuff so that is not an issue.

I stick a powerstrip in the rear zippered pouch. It seems to work for me. The case material can get a little dusty on stage, but it seems to brush right off.

open for business

set to travel

I will do a new pic sometime soon to show how it looks now.