Quote Originally Posted by marnold
I don't know what the laws are in the UK, but I'm pretty sure that in the U.S. you couldn't get married before 18 without parental consent. Here engagement has no legal standing whatsoever.

Now from a practical standpoint I'll say this: don't get engaged. Let me repeat that: don't get engaged. It's great that you are deeply in love with each other. Wonderful. I'm also glad that you seem to have a solid head on your shoulders for future plans. But there's no need to get engaged seven or eight years in advance of getting married. That's 50% as long as you've lived! Live your life. Enjoy your teenage years. Learn who you are. When you hit 20 if the two of you are still an item, then talk about it.

Another practical item: it's not wise to start a relationship by ticking off your future in-laws, unless you really want your life to be a little slice of Hell. When you marry a woman you marry her whole family.
to be really honest, she is my life, and she has been the only person ive ever truely loved. apart from guitar i do nothing else, its guitar or her. so i wouldnt miss anything by committing now. im gonna leave it till after the summer this year, and see where i stand financially, socially and school-wise.