Thread: Unsung Hero - The Tech

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, DVM give us a chance to let our knowledge shine for a while longer... I was going to say Zemaitis Lol
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

The second professional guitar technician I met this summer is Timmy O'Connor.

Timmy is the guitar tech for Pat Simmons of The Doobie Brothers.

We chatted a while and then he let me play Pat's custom made guitar through a stack of hand made Dumbell amps with a Bradshaw effects switching system and a 50,000 watt PA system.

Just kidding there. That was a dream I had. Anyway...

The thing I noticed about both techs. Elwood and Timmy O'Connor is that they are both very easy going guys that are very happy to chat gear or classic cars or you name it. It seems as if the job is low stress and they enjoy what they do. Maybe it's the great perks of mini-mart burritos at 3am. that they enjoy so much. I don't know. What I do know is that they are able to support themselves and their families doing it and they are easier to talk to than some of the stars they work for. So if you want to talk to an artist about their gear but can't find them or get clearance to them, talk to their tech.

The pedal board is Pat Simmon's. He also uses Dean Markley Blue Steel 9-46 custom guage stings sets.
    Last edited by Spudman; December 21st, 2006 at 08:04 PM.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayyy cool posts Spudsie!

I think that'd make a fantastic documentary...on the road with Techies.

We gotta pitch in and start a fund to buy Spuds a video camera and some pocket change for mini mart burritos and get him out on the road!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Wayyy cool posts Spudsie!

I think that'd make a fantastic documentary...on the road with Techies.

We gotta pitch in and start a fund to buy Spuds a video camera and some pocket change for mini mart burritos and get him out on the road!
    Wow! You are so thoughtful. I'd love to do something like that. I already have a digital camcorder and I think I could just eat out of dumpsters since I've already done that being a "rock-n-roll star. So it would be really cheap to send me on assignment.

I'm all for it! "Make it so number one."

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Wow! You are so thoughtful. I'd love to do something like that. I already have a digital camcorder and I think I could just eat out of dumpsters since I've already done that being a "rock-n-roll star. So it would be really cheap to send me on assignment.

I'm all for it! "Make it so number one."
    I'm not kidding, I'd love to see such a film. Maybe you could bring your camcorder next time and just chat with the guitar techs. Of course, you've gotta get them to play the axes as well.