Thread: The Axis of Awesome 4 Chords

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I found something saying the structure that is common to all these songs is the I, V, vi, IV chord structure.

So you can take "With or Without You" by U2 in G, and match it up with "Self Esteem" by the Offspring in A, but put them in the same key, follow the same structure, and you are there.
    But did you notice? Starting with "Save Tonight" through "Canvas Bags," the video picks on songs that go vi, IV, I, V (or i, VI, III, VII, depending). Self Esteem is in that second category. It's the same four chords, but starting in the middle of the sequence. Pretty slick!

This video illustrates why it's more important to know the function of the chords in a song than the letter names. A, E, F#m, D doesn't tell you much, but if you know that those chords are I, V, vi, IV, everything becomes much more clear. I think I'll be showing this to my students, actually.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ro3b
    This video illustrates why it's more important to know the function of the chords in a song than the letter names. A, E, F#m, D doesn't tell you much, but if you know that those chords are I, V, vi, IV, everything becomes much more clear. I think I'll be showing this to my students, actually.
    Always wondered, never asked: is the vi in lower case to indicate that it's minor? If so, what do you do with the VII since it's actually diminished? You could "wing it" a bit with a minor, though, I suppose.

I'm so used to blues that is I-IV-V, and metal which is basically power chords played in the minor scale of your choice that the extra Roman numeral confuse me a bit.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

This is so cool. I've just written 12 timeless hits using this formula. Watch out world.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Always wondered, never asked: is the vi in lower case to indicate that it's minor? If so, what do you do with the VII since it's actually diminished? You could "wing it" a bit with a minor, though, I suppose.
    Right, the lower case is minor. For the dim seventh, you'd write viiº. In many contexts if you want the seventh in the bass it's more common to use a V chord in first inversion instead (e.g. A/C# in the key of D), depending on how you want to resolve it.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro